Education and Training is the largest employing sector in the Armidale Region, generating 3,085 local jobs in 2018/19, and is the largest generator of exports. Led by expansion of enrolments at the University of New England, Tertiary Education export value has increased by $43M in the last three years.
contribution to local output
value generated in the region
exports to extrenal markets
A MAJOR LOCAL INDUSTRY
- • Education and Training is a substantial provider of wealth in the Armidale Region. Its share of output and value added in 2018/19 was almost four times the regional NSW average.
• It is the largest generator of exports for the Region, providing more than a third of total exports in 2018/19.
• 1 in every 5 workers in Armidale Region work in the Education and Training Sector.
"Armidale is home to the University of
New England, Australia's first inland University that dates back to the 1920s. It is a leading provider of distance education."
"Armidale supports a number of boarding schools with a long history of providing education to rural students."
- • Education and Training has averaged 0.5% p.a. growth in value added over the last decade, but the last three years has seen stronger increases off the back of Tertiary Education.
• Exports in the sector have grown above the regional NSW average.
• Education and Training jobs have grown by 1.6% p.a. over the decade, but recent jobs growth has averaged 3.1% p.a., well above the regional NSW average.
- • Tertiary Education is by far the largest contributor within the Sector, generating $212M in value added in 2018/19, or 74% of the total.
• The largest numbers of businesses are in Technical and Vocational Education and Training (8 in 2019), and Preschool Education (7 in 2019).
"Armidale Secondary College is undergoing a major redevelopment which will make it one of the state's most advanced facilities"
"The Armidale Campus is the head office for TAFE NSW's online learning platform, TAFE Digital"
UNE GROWING STRONGLY
- • The University of New England has experienced continued growth in enrolments over the last five years averaging 2.6% p.a.
• The institution has large enrolments in higher degrees with 1 in every 5 student studying a Master's Degree or above in 2019.
• It is well positioned for growth in digital learning with 85% of enrolments being in online delivery in 2019.
Source: ABS Census, 2016;
- In 2016:
• Armidale Region workers were slightly older, more likely to be male and more likely to be born overseas than the regional NSW average.
• A higher share of workers weredegree educated.
• A lower share of workers managed their own business.
• Workers were more likely to be working full-time than the regional NSW average and were earning higher median incomes.
University of New England
The University of New England (UNE),
established in 1938, is Australia's first
regional university. It is one of the country's premier online universities delivering courses to over 21,000 students across the country and overseas. Another 4,600 students are based on campus in Armidale.
TAFE NSW Armidale
TAFE NSW's Armidale Campus provides numerous vocational courses and as of 2018 is home to TAFE NSW's online learning platform, TAFE Digital. TAFE NSW Armidale also has a pathway agreement with the University of New England, which allows students to continue studying locally, to gain essential practical skills and knowledge before starting a degree.
Armidale Secondary College
Armidale Secondary College is the combination of 2 schools with a long and proud history - Armidale High School and Duval High School, and will accommodate approximately 1,500 students. Its is currently undergoing a major redevelopment which incorporates new school buildings, improved performing arts and sports facilities, attractive landscaping and design features that connect indoor and outdoor learning. Construction is set to be completed in 2021.